Wiscard (UW-Madison ID card)* or
Memorial Fee Card or
Law Library Card**
* Wiscard users may check out materials with your phone using the free Key Ring app. See instructions to set up your phone.
** Patrons with current photo identification and a Wisconsin address may apply for a Law Library card. The card will be mailed to verify the address. Up to three items may be charged while the Law Library card application is pending.
Books - UW undergrad Students - 28 days
Books - UW Faculty, Staff and grad students - semester
Reserves - 2 hours, 6 hours, 24 hours or 3 days
Semester and 28 day loans - May be renewed twice, if the item has not been requested by another patron. Renewals are subject to recall.
Reserves - No renewals
28 day loans - May be kept for the entire initial loan period. Recalls may be placed at any time. Renewals/overdues are subject to recall.
Administrative Recall - Titles needed for Reserve Collection may be recalled at any time.
Reserves - No recall options
Patrons are billed for failing to return or renew items 45 days after the due date. The items are considered lost by the library. Newer volumes are billed at their current replacement cost, most older volumes are billed at a $ 75.00 default fee.
When the item is returned, the replacement fee is expunged. Patrons must still pay any overdue fines, associated with the transaction.
Items will be billed according to the amount of damage incurred. If the item is not repairable, a replacement charge will be applied.
Invoices will be emailed to those patrons having email addresses in their patron records. Invoices will be mailed to street addresses for patrons with Law Library cards.
You may appeal overdue recall charges, but lost book charges cannot
be appealed. To appeal, pick up a form in Memorial Library Room
170 or use the online appeal form.
Payment of Fees
Fees can be paid by check or charge (Wiscard, Visa or Mastercard). Payment can be made either in person in Room 170 or mailed to Room 170, Memorial Library, 728 State Street, Madison, WI 53706. Checks should be made payable to the University of Wisconsin - Madison.
As soon as an account reaches $15.00 in non-payments, a hold is placed on University records. Users having outstanding fees may also be blocked on the circulation system.
Avoiding Library Charges
1. Return reserve materials on time. Check the your Library Catalog account for due dates and times.
2. Ask for a receipt when returning an item. This assures the item has been discharged and is incontrovertible evidence in the event charges are in error.
3. Don't ignore overdue notices. If you feel you have gotten an overdue notice in error, contact the Circulation Department as soon as possible. If it is an error, it can be corrected before it is invoiced and a hold is placed on your University records.
4. Change your address in my UW. Make sure the address in your University records is current. Use my UW to input changes.
Ask at the Circulation Desk or call (608)265-6649.